I am a planner. There I said it. A productivity Ninja wanna be.
I simply need to have my days completely mapped out in order to be productive. I have a lot of random things on my plate (and in my head for that matter) and if I just go about my day running from task to task I will never get anything accomplished.
I am just too easily distracted by shiny things.
I actually took a class (okay if I am being honest I took TONS of classes) on scheduling. Did you know there are a gabillion articles, podcasts, and courses on scheduling? Trust me I know…I did the legwork.
Anyhow, I finally found the perfect way to map out my day. The key to upping my productivity.
If you have not tried it, I totally recommend it. It truly has completely changed my life for the better! A bit dramatic maybe, but it really has!
You can read all about it here. How Block Scheduling Completely Changed my Life.
About a year ago, I decided to change my schedule up. I shortened work sessions and added a few areas to each of my days. I literally spent a full afternoon perfecting this new schedule in the hopes I would increase my productivity and I was excited to try it out the next day.
I began my day with the new plan and I really did start out pretty focused, but before I knew it I was completely off track and the day was a total flop.
Ugh. I cannot tell you how frustrating this is.
So, here was the problem. I had new times on my schedule, but I got so involved in the work at hand that I forgot to change over at those times.
Simply put, I needed a reminder.
A little tap on the shoulder telling me to move on to the next thing. Yes, I could use my phone, but I don’t always have it on me. I needed something else…but what?
One day I was checking my stats on my Fitbit and I noticed a tab on my dashboard.
“Alarm” Hmmmm, what is this? I checked it out and guess what you guys?
THERE IS A FLIPPING ALARM ON MY FITBIT!
I am sure all of you Fitbit owners out there have them too!
That is just the coolest thing ever, and there is no limit to how many alarms you can set!
Oh, and you can repeat them! (I get really excited over things like this, in case you haven’t noticed)
And…AND the alarm is silent, so it only vibrates!
Best part EVER!
So, I popped myself on over to my dashboard and set an alarm for each section of my schedule so I would be reminded of when to stop and switch over.
I have to tell you it works like a dream!! I am back on top of things and I am being productive without spinning my wheels.
Awesome Sauce Baby!!
I really feel like I have found the secret to life on this little band on my wrist. Yes, I know, a little over the top…but I do feel that way!
Ideas for your Fitbit alarm
- Morning wake up. I like to set this about 20 minutes after my alarm goes off. This is my final reminder to get my bum out of bed. 🙂
- Exercise time! I am so bad about exercising and I need all the help I can get. Whether I do 10 minutes or 45, this reminder is there to get myself up and moving!
- Dinner time. This is another biggie for me. I sometimes can get so involved in my day that I forget to start dinner. When I do I find myself calling Handy Many Hubby to grab takeout on the way home. This really can destroy our food budget fast. Having a start dinner reminder really has helped quite a bit.
- Schedule change. If you use block scheduling to plan your days this alarm is a must! I can really get so involved in a project that I will work on it for hours. Knowing I can give 100% of my attention to the job at hand because my Fitbit will tell me when to stop is a game changer. No more distractions really increase productivity!
- Time for bed. Normally this is for our kids, but moms need them too! Our days can be busy all the way up the end. Having a little nudge to tell us to end the day can really help our health. Sleep is key to keeping our sanity kids, make sure you get enough of it.
As you can see the sky is the limit for setting Fitbit reminders. Use your imagination and turn yourself into productivity masters!
So, if you own a Fitbit…get yourself on over to your dashboard and prepare to change your days! If you do not own a Fitbit, you need to get yourself one!
Or you could just use a watch, but hey what’s the fun in that?