This resource page is specifically for patio gardening. A Container Gardening Supply List that you can turn to again and again.
Gardening in containers might just be my new favorite thing to do. As I get older my back does not like me bending over for hours at a time and that means I need to do what I can to bring things up to my level.
Container gardening is also great if you are short on space. Whether that means you live in the city or are renting a home, growing your vegetable garden in portable containers is a solution to many situations.
Before we dive in, I do want to remind you that most of the supplies you will need to garden in containers you may already have. This will allow you to skip over some of the sections I have listed out on this page.
I do want to be thorough so you know what will help you to have on hand. Remember, to shop your home first before you head out to the store to buy. My goal is to do as much as I can without spending money so this is more of a guide that you can then use to work from.
Prep Your Containers Before Planting
There are two things you will want to do before using any containers for your vegetable plants.
First. With any containers that you plan to use that are not new, please be sure to wash and sterilize them before planting. Use a bleach/water mixture of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Wipe down and rinse thoroughly.
Second. Make sure there is drainage. Most containers that you repurpose may not have ample drainage for your plants. To fix this you can add in a few drainage holes at the bottom using a hammer and nails. You can also use a drill to do the same job a bit more quickly.
Container Gardening Supply List
- Irrigation Hose – Lay this over your pots and give a slow and steady water.
- Plant Supports – Good for peppers and jalapeños.
- Tomato Cages – Put these into the planter before the plants get too big.
- Raised Garden Table – A great option to check out!
Containers for Large Plants
- 5 Gallon Grow Bags – Love these for patio gardening.
- Rectangle Grow Bags with Handles – More space for bigger plants.
Containers for Small Plants
- Raised Bed Grow Box – A portable planter that you can move to where the sun is.
- Planter Raised Beds – Pretty and efficient.
- Hanging Grow Bags – 3 pack of bags great for strawberries.
Container for Potatoes
- Potato Grow Bags with Flap – Windows make harvesting easier.
- Plastic Garden Planter Pot – Pull out container for easy picking.
- Potato Grow Bags 10 Gallon 3 pack
- 4 Pack 10 Gallon Garden Potato Grow Bags – A heavy duty option.
Containers for Herbs
- Herb Garden Planter – A raised table with small compartments for herb plants.
- 5 Tier Garden Tower for Herbs – Great if you are short on space.
- Freestanding Elevated Planter for Herbs – Love this option!
- 3 Windowsill Herb Planter Box – Grow herbs right outside your window.
- Hanging Planters with Herb Pockets – A super unique way to grow herbs!
Growing Herbs Resources:
Indoor Growing Options
- 3 Tiered Stackable Indoor Vertical Herb Planter
- Indoor Herb Vegetable Plant Garden Kit
- Indoor Garden with LED Grow Light – Everything you need for a countertop garden.
- Self Watering Planters Pots – Great for herbs, lettuce, or other small veggies.